Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Thomas S. Monson

Thomas S. Monson
I was saddened just now, when I learned, checking my emails, that Thomas S. Monson, the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, died last night. He was 90  years old.

I remember when I was in my youth, singing in a choir for our Regional Conference in the Tabernacle at Temple Square, and sitting not to far away from him since he had come to speak. I remember his stories about World War II and how he had stood alone, or thought he stood alone, when his superior was dismissing men to go to church. The man had called out several religions to dismiss them, but not his, and since he hadn't been officially dismissed, he stood there, by himself. Only when the man asked what he and the other men behind them called themselves, and the other men answered, "Mormons, sir!" did he realized there were still others there. And he was able to go with them as they all went to church together.

I remember watching the funeral of Gordon B. Hinkley on the news, and knowing that Elder Monson would soon be called as the next prophet. I remember sustaining him in General Conference. I was, and am, grateful for his example of goodness, service, unselfishness, and faith.

If I'm not mistaken, Russell M. Nelson will be called to be the next president of the church. And I am confident that he will do as wonderful a job as President Monson has done.

No comments: