Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Condemn Me Not by Heather B. Moore

Condemn Me Not by Heather B. Moore is coming out March 14, and like all of Ms. Moore's books that I have read, I really enjoyed this one. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy, and have left a review on Goodreads.  Here is the review again:
Condemn Me Not (c) 2017 Heather B. Moore
This was a sobering and personalized look into the life of one of the people executed during the Salem Witch Trials. That the woman was an ancestor of Heather Moore made the story especially meaningful to me. Ms. Moore's writing, as always, was fantastic. She is one of my favorite authors because of her skill at crafting words. I liked that the story went back and forth between her time in jail to her younger years, meeting her husband, having conflict in the community, giving birth to children. I like that it was told in first person. All I know of the Salem Witch Trials I have learned at a distance. But for a little while, in this book, I became one of the innocent accused. I have often tettered back and forth between despising the wretched girls who started it all, and feeling sorry for them, wondering what led them to start their fits of hysteria, of lashing out at innocent people in the first place; innocent people who ended up dead because of them. I don't know everything, and all I can say is that the fate of these girls, who are murderers though they didn't pull the trap door open under these innocent people, is in the hands of God, not me.
That this book could evoke such an emotional response from me, again shows what a fantastic writer Heather Moore is. This was a beautiful, painful, wonderfully-written book!

No comments: