Monday, February 8, 2016

Toru: Wayfarer Returns by Stephanie R. Sorensen

I recently had the great fortune to read a book that is coming out soon by Stephanie R. Sorensen, a very talented and imaginative author.  Her book Toru: Wayfarer Returns has a lot of elements that I particularly enjoyed.

First of all, the setting is Japan, a country to which I have a particular liking, since I spent a year and half there as a missionary for the LDS church.  I loved the country and its beauty.  I like the cities, but I especially liked the nature and mountains.  I lived in Sapporo and Asahikawa on Hokkaido, so I was never far from mountains.

Secondly, I really like SteamPunk!  It's a particularly fun genre, and this has it!  I thought the dirigibles were a great addition to the story.

Thirdly, I thought the main characters were strong, brave, independent people, and I always appreciate go-getters, rather than characters that ho-hum, and expect things to be handed to them.  These characters were awesome!

Check it out on amazon here!  If you like Japan and SteamPunk, or just one or the other, then this is definitely a book you will enjoy!

No comments: