Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Soda Springs by Carolyn Steele

Soda Springs by Carolyn Steele is a well-written, enjoyable work of historical fiction.  I enjoyed reading it, and appreciated the bit of history of the western U.S. that Carolyn Steele so skillfully put in as well. 
Tessa Darrow is an extremely likable character, and I found myself rooting for her in all her adventures and misadventures.  From the beginning of the story until its very satisfying conclusion, I followed Tessa hoping that everything turned out well for her.  Her father was a character I didn’t like quite so much.  At least at first.  But he was believable, and ultimately sympathetic and redeemable.  And I outright cheered for him in one instance when he responded the way he did in a situation that involved a married man hitting on Tessa. 
I thought William was a great character, believable, likable, balanced, and a worthy love-interest for Tessa. 
Mrs. Holt was another character I particularly liked.  I appreciated her mix of common sense and compassion, and I was very pleased to see how things worked out for her.  She was certainly someone who deserved a happy ending!  Overall, the ending was quite satisfying to me.  I was very pleased with it.  Even Sarah, William’s childhood friend got a wonderful ending which she deserved after all the trials she had endured.  The shallow, narrow, selfish men got their lasting comeuppance, and the good guys got their happy ending.  Or perhaps I should say happy beginning!  


No comments: