Friday, November 25, 2016

The History of Thanksgiving

I recently watched a great documentary by The History Channel about Thanksgiving, where it came from, and how it became the holiday it is today. I thought that I knew a lot about it before, but not nearly as much as I probably should have. I am glad that the documentary gave so much information I didn't know about before, including the way many Native Americans today look at Thanksgiving. I knew about that famous day in 1621 when the Mayflower pilgrims invited Massasoit and his people to dinner after a successful harvest.  But I didn't know about the European festival of Harvest Home, and I didn't know about Sarah Josepha Hale or how much she did, to make Thanksgiving a national holiday. I recommend watching the documentary, created by the History Channel. You can find the documentary here.
***
Smith, Harry. "Home for the Holidays: The History of Thanksgiving". The History Channel. History.com. 2016. Film. 25 November 2016

"Sarah Josepha Hale Biography". Biography.com. A & E Television Networks LLC. 2016. Web. 25 Nov. 2016.

"Harvest Home". Encyclopedia Britannica. Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. 2002. Web. 25 Nov. 2016

No comments: