Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Justice and Mercy

As I learn and grow, I continue to try to learn to balance justice and mercy.  Both of them are good ideas when they are balanced, but sometimes a person violates humanity to such a degree, that justice must step to the forefront, and simply... be there.  And were we to ignore the need for justice at that point, we would become morally unbalanced.  

For myself, I try not to be a vindictive person.  But I will allow myself to feel pleased when justice is done.  I appreciate the words of Judge George O'Toole:


* Sargent, Hillary. Twitter. 2015.  https://twitter.com/lilsarg

Note that I didn't mention the name of the perpetrator of the Boston Marathon Bombing, though his name is in the picture of the Judge's address to him.

As I continue to think of justice and mercy, and how neither can rob the other, I think of another recent violation of humanity by someone whom I believe to be as morally depraved as the person in the case I point out, above.  I won't mention his name either.   This individual entered a peaceful church, and in cold blood, murdered nine people, simply because he didn't like the color of their skin.  The people he murdered were: Cyntha Hurd, Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, Hon. Rev. Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr., Rev. Sharonda Singleton, and Myra Thompson.  Tywanza Sanders was only 26.

*CNN Wire. "... Confesses to Killing 9 People in Charleston Church, Wanting to Start 'Race War'". http://myfox8.com/2015/06/19/charleston-shooting-suspect-...-confesses-to-killing-9-people/

It is true that Jesus Christ paid for our sins.  That's how mercy and justice can be balanced.  But when a person does something so unrepentantly heinous as this, that person is essentially refusing to accept Christ's payment.  When that happens, justice must absolutely step back in and assert itself.

Let me say again, I try not to be a vindictive person.  I'm by no means perfect.  But I try to do what's right.  And I will allow myself to feel pleased when justice is done.  And it will be.  Even if it takes longer than we would like.  Because God is in charge of this universe.  And I trust Him.

No comments: