Thursday, August 16, 2018

Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry


Call it Courage (c) 1940 by Armstrong Sperry

I first heard the story Call It Courage when it was read to me by a teacher when I was in elementary school, and fell in love with it. It is a great story that teaches young people that they can face and overcome their fears; that despite post traumatic stress, as Mafatu experienced when he lost his mother because of a hurricane, young people (and not so young) can still face the things that they fear, and they CAN overcome those things. 

Mafatu faces not only an unpredictable ocean, he has to struggle with other things, living and non-living to overcome his fear. Like a frightening stone idol on the island he lives on for a while, a hammerhead shark that is after his dog Uri, and fearsome "eaters of men" cannibals who come after him!

The story is also wonderfully informative about the culture of the South Pacific, and I enjoyed learning that information when I was small. I continue to enjoy the story today, and recommend it to readers both young and not so young.

No comments: