Sunday, October 15, 2017

A More Perfect Union: America Becomes A Nation

A More Perfect Union: American Becomes a Nation (c) 1989
A More Perfect Union directed by Peter N. Johnson and written by Tim Slover is a movie that I have found I enjoy very much, for its educational and historical value. It was also directed, written, and acted very well.

It was filmed in 1989, and depicts the struggles that James Madison, George Washington, Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and the other founding fathers went through in order to create the Constitution.

Learning about the Constitution in school, I never considered the debates and struggles that the creators of the Constitution went through in order to bring it into existence. I've always been reasonably familiar with the Constitution, and considered its rules, excepting the ones on slavery, to make sense. The legislature, in particular, with the number of representatives a state has in the House of Representatives as being proportional to a state's population, and the number of senators in the Senate as always being two, always made logical sense to me. So I was surprised that in the movie there was so much debate and extreme emotion involved in coming to this conclusion.

I found myself admiring James Madison for his dedication to helping America come to a stronger federal government, and at times, I found myself shaking my head at how stubborn he could be. I came to a deeper appreciation of why he is called the Father of the Constitution from watching this movie.

This is a good movie for history teachers to show to their students to help them come to a deeper appreciation of what the founding fathers did to bring about the Constitution.

I recommend the movie to people who enjoy learning about America's history, and who enjoy learning in general.

Read more about the movie HERE, or HERE.

No comments: