Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Marrying Christopher by Michele Paige Holmes

*Warning: There is a tiny spoiler in the middle. Not much. I set it off with *asterisks*.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Marrying Christopher by Michele Paige Holmes. Marsali and Christopher are both endearing protagonists, and I became engrossed in their stories very quickly. Each had an intriguing history that came before the story actually began, which made them real to me. Holmes did a fantastic job bringing in suspenseful, dangerous situations where, because I was already rooting for the characters, I was able to feel their pain and fear and worry. (*Spoiler: For example, the fire on the boat, neither Marsali nor Christopher knowing what had happened to the other, etc. Spoiler over*) The pacing is right where it needs to be for each scene, and the ending is a very satisfying payoff after what the characters have been through.
I particularly liked Christopher. He was a very honorable, sincere man. Marsali was also a very courageous, noble person, and they were both very suited for each other. I can’t abide or believe in stories where one or the other is dishonorable or disrespectful in some way, and the behavior is excuse, and we’re expected to laugh it off. Holme’s characters aren’t like that, and if they are, (Luke, for example) she calls a spade a spade. She shows good characters to be good, and not so good characters to be, well, not so good. For that reason, and many others, I am a fan of Michele Paige Holmes and her work.

No comments: